Getting the axe

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

We've been busy!

Bryan and I like to think we are a couple of DIYer's and usually have some kind of project going on, but when our house flooded in February we had lots of projects to take on and threw in some extras we've been planing on doing. We saved enough money doing it ourselves the insurance covered all of our changes plus new carpet. Boo ya! 
The flooding was from our swamp cooler upstairs. Bryan and I left for a couple of hours and it sprung a leak. Luckily our fire alarm went off and our neighbor called us in a panic and was able to see inside our house. At that point the water had made it all the way to the first floor and puddling up in the dining room. 
So today I blog about it because we are down to the little details. So if it seems like there is a space on the wall where a picture should be- it is coming. 

Here's just a couple pictures of how far it had to be ripped down. 



Family Room:
Before 


After






We changed this room to a light gray and bright white. We added bead board and crown molding. Now all of our cords are hidden and we have surround sound. Plus on the side wall Bryan put together that chalkboard for me. 
Sidenote: Kellie finished the rocking horse in the corner for me. My Grandpa Anthony started it before he died and had already made Kellie and Camber one. I also have a huge painting of Christ in the back corner that I bought with money my Grandma Anthony left me for when I got married. It's nice to have little things like that to remember them by. It makes me feel better that since my kids won't  get to know them here-  I'll have reasons to talk about them. 


Better picture of my new rug.  The rug was not covered in the insurance pay out but after getting new carpet I didn't want to be paranoid about spills. We found a steal at Overstock.com Outlet in Sandy. 


I found the idea for this gate on Pinterest and printed out the instructions for Bryan. We chose to stain it with a pickling white stain. I wanted the white wash look and Bryan wanted to see the grain of the natural wood. It looks so good and works really well. Not as much chasing Hadley up the stairs. 

Bedroom 1:
Before



The flood didn't actually reach this room, but when the previous owners moved out they touched up all the white paint. But the problem was some of the walls had different sheens than what they used to touch up. It was just a personal pet peeve and when we decided to carpet, I thought this was the best time to paint this room. We used the same gray as downstairs but it looks darker in here. 

After


We also had mismatched dressers. So we bought the lower dresser to match mine. I wanted to splurge for a whole new bedroom set but we decided to wait until we have a room large enough for a King. Plus you can't tell in the picture that Bryan has put outlets into our bed and lamps and switches. Genius points. 

Bathroom 1:
Before


This bathroom did get most of the water damage. We had to redo the drywall around the door and closet. And the flooring was ripped out. 

After



We painted the wall a sea foam green- it's hard to tell in these pictures. While we were at it, we found a good deal on this granite counter top and Bryan took out the vanity and stained it. Plus obviously the tile floor. Bryan's pretty proud of how good the faucet looks in there, he thinks he picked those out... 

Hallway

I mainly included these pictures because these walls were ripped out. Most of the damage was here. 




And Hadley trying to go down. She doesn't know how to do that yet. 

Bedroom 2 
Before 


This flood was actually a blessing because I personally don't like the red in this room. Too dark for a small room. I wanted to change this right when we moved in but got lazy. 

After

You might be able to see in this picture on the ceiling by the door we still need to replace the trim, but that area was where all the damage was in here. Plus the necklace holder on the wall Bryan made me. It has cute door knobs I got at Anthropolgie on it. 

 

Bedroom 3 
Before


Nothing happened to this room but this is Hadley's room. I don't think I've posted pictures of it. 

After

Those pictures on the changing table are waiting to go on the sides of the states. I reupholstered that rocking chair. Bryan did the blue dresser. And my sisters did the changing table. 



She's acting like she actually likes her crib here... 


Bryan refurbished this too. It was in our bathroom. We added Anthropolgie door knobs on this too for headbands.  

 Bathroom 2 
Before 
This bathroom had some damage but most of the damage on this floor was the dropped ceiling between our dining room and family room. But I haven't posted the changes Bryan made to this bathroom yet so might as well while I'm at it. 
Bryan did this last summer when he was between jobs and when we first brought Hadley home. We wanted to do this right when we looked at buying the house. We really thought it would be nice to have a second whole bathroom, especially since we have a lot of visitors come. It has been so nice and I am really impressed that my husband could build a whole shower. 

 

During







We had to special order this shower closure at Home Depot and it took forever to come in. We ended up getting a couple hundred dollars back on it because of it. 




Also Bryan's friend was working at a site that had lots of slabs of granite leftover. He found a piece for us that was big enough for this bathroom counter so we put it in. 

So good to have all these huge jobs done and to not be living in a construction zone. I think I already posted the pantry and desk Bryan added in our dining room. The only reason that I fit into our small kitchen. I'm pretty sure all of our neighbors are super jealous of all our improvements. They come over and check them out all the time. I'm lucky enough to have married the man with the smarts to do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment